- Scutellosaurus lawleri
- Colbert, 1981
- Meaning of generic name
- "Small-shield lizard".
- Body length: 1.2 m, Skull length: ?
- Holotype (MNA P1.175): partial skeleton
[Referred specimen not mentioned but at least one implied according to text above]
- Age and Distribution
- Horizon: Kayenta Formation. Early Jurassic (Hettangian)
Locality: Rock head, Navajo nation, Arizona, US.
- Dinosauria Ornithischia Thyreophorea
- Further Reading
- E. H. Colbert. 1981. A primitive ornithischian dinosaur from the Kayenta Formation of Arizona. Museum of Northern Arizona Bulletin 53:1-61
- Image by Nobu Tamura (click to enlarge)
Tuesday, 3 December 2013
This small armored dinosaur from the Early Jurassic of Arizona was a basal thyreophorean, a group that includes the stegosaurs and ankylosaurs. It had an extremely long tail and a body covered with tiny scutes. At least two specimens are known.