- Amazonsaurus maranhensis
- Carvalho, Avilla, Salgado, 2003
- Meaning of generic name
- Amazon lizard.
- Meaning of specific name
- From the Brazilian state of Maranhão.
- Length: 12 m, Skull length: [not given]
- Holotype: MN 4558-V (dorsal neural spine), UFRJ-DG 58-R/9 (dorsal neural spine), MN 4559-V (dorsal centrum), MN s/n-V (dorsal centrum), neural spine of anterior caudal vertebra (UFRJ-DG 58-R/7), one mid caudal vertebra (MN 4555-V), one mid-posterior caudal vertebra (MN 4560-V), one posterior caudal vertebra (MN 4556-V), one posterior caudal vertebra (UFRJ-DG 58-R/10), four cehvrons (UFRJ-DG 58-R/2 through [...] 58-R/5), four more chevrons (MN 4564-V), ilium (UFRJ0-DG 58-R/1), partial pubis (MN s/n-V), and three ribs (MN 4562-V)..
- Age and Distribution
- Horizon: Itapecuru Formation, Lower Cretaceous (Aptian–Albian).
Locality: Mata, Itapecuru-Mirim County, Maranhão State, Brazil.
- Dinosauria Saurischia Sauropodomorpha Sauropoda Diplodocoidea
- Further Reading
- I. d. S. Carvalho, L. d. S. Avilla, and L. Salgado. 2003. Amazonsaurus maranhensis gen. et sp. nov. (Sauropoda, Diplodocoidea) from the Lower Cretaceous (Aptian-Albian) of Brazil. Cretaceous Research 24:697-713.
Tuesday, 3 December 2013
Amazonsaurus was a Sauropod from the Early Cretaceous of Brazil. It is known from a fragmentary skeleton that does not allow to classify it with certainty beyond the diplodocoid.