- Unaysaurus tolentinoi
- Leal, Azevodo, Kellner and da Rosa, 2004.
- Meaning of generic name
- "Black Water" in the local Tupi language
- Meaning of specific name
- Named after Tolentino Marafiga, who discovered the fossils by the side of a road in 1998
[actually his name would be Tolentinus in most simple latinization, so the generic name should have been Tolentini]
- Body Length: 8.2 ft (2.5 m)
- Holotype 4FSM 11069: a partial (semi articulated) skeleton with almost complete skull and lower jaw.
- Age and Distribution
- Horizon: Caturrita Formation, Late Triassic Period (Carnian - Norian)
Locality: Rio Grande do Sul, near the city of Santa Maria, Southern Brazil
- Dinosauria Saurischia Sauropodamorpha Prosauropoda ?Plateosauridae
- Further Reading
- Luciano A. Leal, Sergio A. K. Azevodo, Alexander W. A. Kellner, and Átila A. S. da Rosa. 2004. "A new early dinosaur (Sauropodomorpha) from the Caturrita Formation (Late Triassic), Paraná Basin, Brazil". Zootaxa 690: 1–24.
Tuesday, 3 December 2013
Unaysaurus is the first prosauropod dinosaur discovered in Brazil. The holotype (4FSM 11069) of Unaysaurus was found in the Caturrita Formation in Brazil. It was unearthed in Carnian-Norian strata and dates to around 225 million years ago. Unaysaurus had a length of about 2.5 m. (8.2 feet). Its height was 70-80 cm.. (2-3 feet). This dinosaur shows affinities to Plateosaurus and may belong in the family Plateosauridae.