- Aloposaurus gracilis
- Broom, 1910
- Meaning of generic name
- Fox Lizard
- Skull length: 12 cm ,Length: 0.6 m?
- Holotype (AMNH 5317): weathered laterally compressed skull
- Age and Distribution
- Horizon: Cistecephalus assemblage zone, Beaufort group, Upper Permian (Wuchiapingian).
Type locality: Karoo basin, South Africa.
- Synapsida Therapsida Gorgonopsia Gorgonopsidae
- Further Reading
- Broom, R., 1910, Observations on some specimens of South African Fossil Reptiles preserved in the British Museum: Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa, v. 2, part 1, p. 19-25.
- Image by Nobu Tamura (click to enlarge)
- Aloposaurus gracilis:
Tuesday, 26 November 2013
This small gorgonopsid had a slender narrow skull. It is known from a single weathered skull from a probable immature individual.