- Struthiocephalus whaitsi
- Haughton, 1915
- Meaning of generic name
- Ostrich head
- Skull length: 50 cm ,Length: 3 m
- Several skulls and postcranial elements
- Age and Distribution
- Horizon: Lower to Middle Tapinocephalus assemblage zone, Lower Beaufort beds, Middle Permian (Capitanian).
Type locality: Beaufort West, Karoo basin, South Africa.
- Synapsida Therapsida Dinocephalia Tapinocephalia Tapinocephalidae
- Further Reading
- E. C. Olson and R. Broom. 1937. New genera and species of tetrapods from the Karroo Beds of South Africa. Journal of Paleontology 11(7):613-619 .
- Moschosaurus whaitsi Haughton, 1915; Moschosaurus longiceps Haughton, 1915; Struthiocephalus rheederi Broom, 1937; Struthiocephalus milleri Olson & Broom, 1937; Struthiocephalus akraalensis Boonstra, 1952; Struthiocephalellus parvus Boonstra, 1954; Struthiocephalus kitchingi Brink, 1958
Saturday, 23 November 2013
A rather common tapinocephalid from the Middle Permian of South Africa, this large long snouted soft plant eater is known from a number of specimens of both sex from juvenile to adults.