- Delphinognathus conocephalus
- Seeley, 1892
- Meaning of generic name
- Dolphin jaw
- Meaning of specific name
- Cone head
- Skull length: 31 cm, Length: ? 2 m
- Holotype: a single weathered partial skull.
- Age and Distribution
- Horizon: Tapinocephalus assemblage zone, Lower beaufort beds, Middle Permian (Capitanian).
Type locality: Beaufort West, Karoo basin, South Africa.
- Synapsida Therapsida Dinocephalia Tapinocephalia Tapinocephalidae
- Further Reading
- Seeley, H. G., 1892. On Delphinognathus conocephalus (Seeley) from the Middle Karoo Beds, Cape Colony, preserved in the South African Museum, Capetown: Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society of London, v. 48, p. 466-475.
Friday, 22 November 2013
This Tapinocephalian is known from a single weathered skull from the Karoo beds of South Africa. It might be a juvenile of Moschops.