- Aelurognathus tigriceps
- (Broom & Haughton, 1924) Haughton, 1924
- Meaning of generic name
- Cat Jaw
- Skull length: 30 cm ,Length: 1.5 m?
- Holotype (SAM 2343):
- Age and Distribution
- Horizon: Cistecephalus assemblage zone, Beaufort group, Upper Permian (Wuchiapingian).
Type locality: Karoo basin, South Africa.
- Synapsida Therapsida Gorgonopsia Gorgonopsidae
- Further Reading
- Haughton, S. H., 1924, On some Gorgonpsian skulls in the collection of the South African Museum: Annals of the South African Museum, v. 12, p. 499-517.
- Scymnognathus tigriceps Broom & Haughton, 1924
Monday, 25 November 2013
Several species of Aelurognathus have been described (A. tigriceps, A. kingwilli, A. ferox, A. maccabei, A. alticeps, A. broodiei). According to Gebauer (2007), Prorubidgeia should be considered to be a junior synonym of Aelurognathus.