- Tapinocaninus pamelae
- Rubidge, 1991
- Meaning of generic name
- Humble canine
- Skull length: 50 cm , Length: 3 m
- Holotype (NMQR 2987): Skull and mandible.
Paratypes: NMQR 2985 (skull and mandible); NMQR 2986 (skull and mandible), ROZ K95 (skull and mandible).
- Age and Distribution
- Horizon: Eodicynodon zone, at the base of the Beaufort Group (Ufimian-Kazanian age), Middle permian (Wordian).
Type locality: Modderdrift farm, prince Albert, South Africa.
- Synapsida Therapsida Dinocephalia Tapinocephalia Tapinocephalidae
- Further Reading
- Rubidge, B. S., 1991, A new Primitive Dinocephalian Mammal-Like Reptile from the Permian of Southern Africa: Palaeontology v. 34, part 3, p. 547-559.
Saturday, 23 November 2013
This large plant-eating therapsid is one of the earliest tapinocephalian known from South Africa.