To add to the confusion, several species were transfered to a number of different genera including Criorhynchus, Coloborhynchus, Lonchodectes, Anhanghera and Tropeognathus. At the end, it is possible that none of the numerous species of Ornithocheirus is valid. A generic portrait of Ornithocheirus described it as a medium to large size pterosaur with a wingspan of 4 to meters. characterized by a long narrow and toothed jaws with a crest on top of the anterior portion of the snout.
- Ornithocheirus simus, mesembrinus
- simus (Seeley, 1869)
mesembrinus (Wellnhofer, 1987)
- Meaning of generic name
- Bird Hand
- Wingspan: 2.5 m
- Several jaw fragments, fragmentary skeletons and isolated bones and teeth.
- Age and Distribution
- Upper Cretaceous Greensand Formation (Cenomanian), Cambridge, England.
Upper Cretaceous Santana Formation (Cenomanian), Brazil.
- Pterosauria Pterodactyloidea Ornithocheiridae
- Further Reading
- Unwin, David M. (2006). The Pterosaurs: From Deep Time. New York: Pi Press. pp. 246.
- Image by Nobu Tamura (click to enlarge):