- Australosyodon nyaphuli
- Rubidge, 1994
- Meaning of generic name
- Southern "Syodon"
- Skull length: 26 cm , Length: ? 1.8 m
- Holotype (NMQR 3152): Skull and mandible, left side well preserved, right side crushed.
- Age and Distribution
- Horizon: Eodycinodon-Tapinocaninus assemblage zone, base of beaufort group, Middle Permian (Wordian-Capitanian).
Type locality: Tuinkraal farm, Prince Albert Road, South Africa.
- Synapsida Therapsida Dinocephalia Anteosauria Syodontidae
- Further Reading
- B. S. Rubidge. 1994. Australosyodon, the first primitive anteosaurid dinocephalian from the Upper Permian of Gondwana. Palaeontology 37(3):579-594.
Friday, 22 November 2013
Australosyodon is the South African version of the Russian Syodon. This medium size carnivore was one of the most primitive dinocephalians.