- Patranomodon nyaphulii
- Rubidge & Hopson, 1990
- Meaning of generic name
- [Father of anomodonts]
- Skull length: 5 cm ,Length: 30 cm
- Holotype (NMQR 3000): Skull with lower jaw and postcranial elements
- Age and Distribution
- Horizon: Eodicynodon Assemblage zone, base of the Beaufort Group, Middle Permian (Wordian)
Type locality: Combrinkskraal farm, Prince Albert district, South Africa.
- Synapsida Therapsida Anomonodontia
- Further Reading
- B. S. Rubidge and J. A. Hopson. 1990. A new anomodont therapsid from South Africa and its bearing on the ancestry of Dicynodontia. South African Journal of Science 86:43-45.
B. S. Rubidge and J. A. Hopson. 1996. A primitive anomodont therapsid from the base of the Beaufort Group (Upper Permian) of South Africa. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 117:115–139.
Saturday, 23 November 2013
This is the earliest known anomodont, an important group of therapsids that lead to the dominant large herbivores of the end of the Permian and the Early Triassic.